Re: Accessing glyphs via symbol char map

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Accessing glyphs via symbol char map
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 10:06:37 +0200

Hi Boris,

> Boris Letocha a écrit :
>
> > > It should be good to access symbol char codes as 32-255,
> > but there should be flag somethere to notice it if it is
> > "symbol" font or "Unicode" font.
> > >
> > Well, I'd rather see it as the definition of a new enum like
> > "ft_encoding_win_symbol", and some code in 'src/sfnt' to detect the
> > 0xF000 shift in the mapping..
> >
> So default Charmap will not be Unicode for a such fonts?

If the font contains a Unicode charmap, it would be the default.

If the font would only contain a "Windows Symbol" font, I suggest
to use it as a default.., but it will be tagged "ft_encoding_win_symbol",
no "ft_encoding_unicode" (need to update the Tutorial when this is
completed in source code)..

Otherwise, beekk..

> But your solution looks good ... (You are author of FreeType, so it should
> look good :-)

Well, at this point, it's really a balance between keeping the API simple for
users
and making it more powerful/flexible.. not satisfying one's will or ego :-).
After all,
the FT2 API was heavily changed in order to make it a lot more easy to use by
"common"
developers with no specific typographic/font format knowledge.

That's why suggestions are still welcomed..

Cheers,

- David