RE: A couple of issues with freetype2-beta6

From: Boris Letocha
Subject: RE: A couple of issues with freetype2-beta6
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:14:45 +0200

Hello!

> . The ft_render_grays renderer doesn't seem to render to the
> full range of
> grays available to it - the darkest I can get is a sorry
> gray, even in the
> spots that should be black. (I'm aware of the bit depth being
> produced - I
> changed the PIXEL_BITS define to 8 and still no joy.)
(PIXEL_BITS is different thing ... so leave it as it is now :-)

Also in beta 6 is not incorporated my fix of grayscale renderer :-) It is one possible problem ...

This comment is for FreeType developers ...
It may also like problem of gamma setting. May be there should be a posibility to specify gamma before rendering of glyphs.

I can be done similiar as in LibArt ...

> . When loading Type1 fonts, the FT_Size_Metrics structure inside the
> FT_Face does not get accurate info set:
>
> (gdb) p ftf->size->metrics
> $6 = {x_ppem = 12, y_ppem = 12, x_scale = 50331, y_scale = 50331,
>   ascender = 0, descender = 0, height = 0, max_advance = 0}
>
> ascender, descender, and height are all zero - pretty surely
> a bug. (This
> example is from loading the Bitstream Charter font.)
>
> . In order to go from "slow as molasses" to "bearable speed",
> it would be
> nice if I could specify my own GlyphSlot to LoadGlyph into so I could
> cache glyphs. This could be facilitated by adding a
> LoadGlyphSlot routine
> and adding a GlyphSlot member that stored which glyph was
> last loaded into
> the slot.

This is not work for FreeType. This cacheing you must done yourself as application programmer ...

> -- Elliot
> The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8 meters per
> second per second.
I have similiar oppinion :-)

Boris Letocha