Trouble with kerning

From: Andreas 'LionKing|StarFire' Tscharner
Subject: Trouble with kerning
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:48:50 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

I have some trouble with kerning. What I do:

if (FT_HAS_KERNING(ftFace)) {
   if ((i+1) < l) {
      error = FT_Get_Kerning(ftFace, glyphIndex[i], glyphIndex[i+1], kernDist);
      // Some error check...
   };
   advX += kernDist->x;
};

ftFace is of type FT_Face
i, l both int. i is current char in string, l is strlen
glyphIndex[] are the glyph indices (previously calculated)
kernDist is FT_Vector and already created (kernDist = new FT_Vector...)

The problem: In my test - example, I want to render to word "PAIN".
Between the 'P' and the 'A', kerning should be done. The piece of code
above actually gives a (negative [of course]) value: -3. It looks good,
when the font height is 12, but I always get this -3, even font
height is 60, and then you see nothing about that kerning between these to
characters.

How do I have to do it, that I get always a correct value back?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
        Andreas
--