Re: newbie questions

From: Sven Neumann
Subject: Re: newbie questions
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:39:25 +0200

Hi,

> I've just installed Freetype and it looks really good.
> However I've read the FAQ etc, but can't find the answer to a really
> simple question!
>
> How do I install new fonts?
>
> I presume I can just upload a truetype font from my Mac? (I'll only be
> using the basic roman characters) Where do I upload it to, and how can I
> get a list of already installed fonts?

FreeType is a library that allows applications to access fontfiles
and to render those fonts. There's no such thing as installing font
files or having lists of installed fonts at this level. The
applications have to take care of that. The demo applications
included with freetype solve this by letting you specify the
fontfile on the command-line.

I'm currently working on a spinoff of the GIMP FreeType project:
The GNU FontManager. This library will provide means to install
fonts, to group fonts etc. It will provide an abstract API to
font managment and GTK+ widgets to select and manage fonts.
This part of the project should become useable soon and the
GIMP FreeType plug-in will be the first app to make use of it.
I do hope however that the library will be useful for other
applications too.

As a second step, we think about building a more abstract layer
around the rendering engine provided by FreeType2 in order to
make it easier to develop applications using freetype.

Salut, Sven