Re: Future of autotools

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Future of autotools
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 19:52:49 +0000 (UTC)

>> If we are going to overhaul the build system, I’ve long wanted to
>> have FreeType demos build as a separate package that links against
>> a system-installed FreeType library (not the source directory).
>
> I second that! I think only ttdebug definitely wants to link against
> freetype at the source/private header level.  You can see my
> skeletal makefile for ftinspect that it is using system freetype and
> that seems to work okay.  I think the majority of ftdemo can work
> against a stock system freetype+public header.

Well, this is not how Meson support is currently set up in
`freetype-demos`: in `subprojects/freetype.wrap`, HEAD of FreeType's
git repository is used.  This is absolutely necessary while developing
since we regularly use new, not-yet-published features of FreeType in
the demo programs.

I don't mind if someone is going to modify the Meson stuff to move
this requirement to an easy-to-use equivalent to `make devel`.  Then a
standard Meson build could be against a system-installed FreeType
library.