Re: font-rs port performance and GSoC status update

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: font-rs port performance and GSoC status update
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 05:29:12 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Anurag,

sorry for the late reply.

> I have been working on analyzing the performance of my font-rs port
> for freetype (`dense` module) and want to discuss the results.

The graphics look good, thanks.

> Currently I am running more benchmarks and trying to isolate the
> reason why the `dense` module isn’t as fast as fontdue, whether it
> is because of other differences between fontdue and freetype or
> missing optimizations in the module. If I find any optimizations
> that can be ported over, I will work on that.

Great!

> As for my GSoC phase 1 progress, I have added support for cmake and
> meson to the module and am working on improving the documentation
> including:
>
> - Migrating Readme and INSTALL files to markdown
> - Add documentation on adding a new module to FreeType
> - Compiling and testing FreeType on an Android device
> - Setting up a development environment, debugging and testing
>   FreeType
> - Detailed description of the freetype `smooth` raster algorithm
>
> The work can be seen on `gsoc-anurag-2023` and
> `gsoc-anurag-docs-2023` branches

Thanks.  Regarding the formatting, I suggest a more radical approach:

* Don't indent the text of a section.
* Don't right-justify the text, just use a line length limit of 78
  characters.  Consequently, there should be only single spaces
  between words.
* Use two spaces for indentation in enumerations.
* Since some flavours of Markdown are sensitive to trailing whitespace
  you should avoid them completely.
* Please insert two empty lines before starting a new section.
  However, use only a single empty line in enumerations.  In both
  cases, there should be one empty line after the header line.
* Make tables visually pleasing in the `.md` files, too, by aligning
  the `|` characters vertically, if possible.