Re: Update FreeType's build systems (GSoC Project Idea #1)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Update FreeType's build systems (GSoC Project Idea #1)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 18:42:21 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Afrid,

> [...] I would like to contribute to the project *Update FreeType's
> build System.* I am aware of CMake, Meson build systems.  As it was
> mentioned that particularly for this project, needs intensive
> contact with mailing list, I would like to know more about the idea
> and also some help to get started myself.

You should start compiling FreeType for various platforms (for
example, Windows and GNU/Linux), trying CMake, Meson, and the classical

```
[./autogen.sh]
./configure
make
make install
```

invocation (based on `autoconf` and `libtool`).  You should also test
the FreeType demo programs – or write a small program by your own that
uses FreeType.  This should get you some feeling how the library works
and behaves.

If you come from Windows: You *must* get some command line experience
on GNU/Linux or any of the BSD flavours.  You should also try
mingw-w64 on Windows.  This experience is a prerequisite and not part
of the project, by the way :-)