Re: serving compressed images

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: serving compressed images
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 11:37:26 -0500

> Adding support for TIFF and JPEG is not much code; it would be
> configurable in the same way as PNG.

You probably mean libjpeg-turbo and libtiff as external dependencies.
This is a GNU approach. Other systems might have an abstraction layer
that handles an arbitrary set of image formats. I mean Windows since
GDI+, or Skia, or Qt. Truth be told, those systems are more successful
on desktop because of these abstraction layers, perhaps. Skia might
not be using FreeType on Windows however. If they do, they might not
appreciate depending on libjpeg-turbo as well.

The same way as PNG is not necessarily the only or the best way to
handle compressed images.That is why FreeType should probably stay out
of it. But then, we have a parallel discussion about handling color
palettes in FreeType for Skia. Who would have anticipated that?

Alexei