Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: listing the supported file formats

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: listing the supported file formats
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 09:15:50 -0500

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 9:07 PM suzuki toshiya
<mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> >> basically it helps at preventing the processing of garbage data in a
> >> local fonts/ directory ;) (an extra layer of cope for stupidity)
>
>  If it's the key issue, I suggest to consider using fontconfig library, which
> caches the tested results for the files in the specified locations, and you
> don't have to repeat the checking process.

Exactly! Font management belongs to fontconfig,
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/fontconfig/.

On its part, FreeType is very quick in rejecting accidental garbage.
FreeType is not tirelessly trying to accept broken fonts either.
Malicious fonts too are dealt with accordingly as they are identified
by the fuzzeers.

Best,
Alexei