Re: listing the supported file formats

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: listing the supported file formats
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 20:03:30 +0000 (UTC)

[You have again missed to use 'reply to all'.  In the future I won't
 answer to e-mails from this thread sent to me privately.]

> Not a request: to fix freetype, all of the modules would need a
> static constant returned on a `module.get_formats()` call but
> freetype would also need a function for `FT_Get_Supported_formats()`
> which could return a hashed (removing doubles) string array split by
> 0s as polled from the modules.
>
> however since this isn't available (and is too late now to consider
> without a major revision), the best I could potentially do would be
> to poll the available modules and associate local metadata for
> everything known about the modules (unless I can do better) at init
> time.

It would be possible to add such a function without big difficulties.
However, I don't see any benefit in doing so.

> I don't really need to know the modules specific to each format just
> the total amount of expected formats specifically that could
> potentially be shared between modules.
>
> basically it helps at preventing the processing of garbage data in a
> local fonts/ directory ;) (an extra layer of cope for stupidity)

I don't understand why you need that.  FreeType gets continuously
tested by fuzzing engines; it is very robust and can digest (and
correctly reject) non-font files.  IMHO, such an additional layer is
not necessary.