Update on OT-SVG in FreeType

From: Moazin K
Subject: Update on OT-SVG in FreeType
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 19:29:13 +0500

Hi all,

I've just submitted a draft MR that brings OT-SVG functionality to FreeType. The code added allows client applications to grab the SVG document given a glyph ID as well as allows rendering it to a bitmap if renderer hooks are plugged-in externally.

The code is two years old, I originally wrote it as part of my GSoC 2019 project. It wasn't merged for two years due to the lack of a good default renderer which we still haven't found. To those who advocated no-default two years ago, I'm very sorry.

You can find the MR here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/merge_requests/68

I still have to improve the build system as Meson has been added and I've to add support for CMake too. There'd be some other problems here and there too that I'll solve. Meanwhile, please review as thoroughly as possible. I also need to make sure that relevant `FT_LOAD_*` flags are handled correctly.

Also, does anyone have the time to update the internal zlib, pleeeeeease?

Werner, do you think we should have two configuration flags, first one to enable the OT-SVG document loading and a second one for the rendering part? Or do you think one flag for everything suffices?

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Regards,
Moazin