Re: Hardware minimum requirements for FreeType & FreeType2

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Hardware minimum requirements for FreeType & FreeType2
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 07:43:28 +0100 (CET)

> I wanted to know what the hardware minimum requirements for using
> FreeType and FreeType2 would be (minimum RAM, processing power, and
> flash memory if applicable).  I was planning on using FreeType for a
> project involving a microcontroller and wanted to know its
> limitations.

FreeType's footprint is very small: If you have a limited set of
fonts, ideally all using the same format, and you know in advance
which capabilities you need, it is possible to reduce the number of
modules to get a library size of approx. 200-300kByte.

The same holds for the necessary RAM.  In most cases, FreeType uses
lazy evaluation to reduce the memory needs, and rendering at even
larger glyph sizes is quite efficient without needing large amounts of
RAM.  Unfortunately, I can't provide numbers.

Just bear in mind that originally FreeType was developed for embedded
systems similar to what you are wanting to use.