Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 05:24:42 +0200 (CEST)

>> Thanks, too.  What do you think about integrating this into (at
>> least) `ftview`?
>
> Yes, it can be integrated into the existing demo programs, however I
> think it should have a separate demo program because of the way SDF
> is rendered, it has a raw and reconstruction view as well as various
> properties and bilinear filtering.  Because of that I think
> integrating it completely into the existing programs will clutter
> the programs.

OK, no problem to add another test program :-) Please make it behave
similar to the other ones as much as posible for the sake of
orthogonality.

> On the other hand It makes sense to integrate them into the existing
> programs, so that we can compare them with other renderers and see
> how it looks.  It will require significant changes to the graphics
> subsytem (adding bilinear filtering, render 16 bpp, the
> reconstruction mode etc.).  So, perhaps I should do it after GSoC?

This would be great, of course!  However, if you want to invest some
time in this area please have a look at the `ftinspect` program, which
is intended as a modern replacement and synthesis of all demo
programs.  [There are also some improvements in the
'veeki-gsoc-experimental' branch, which unfortunately don't fly, so to
say.  Maybe some of it is useful.]