Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Priyesh kumar
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 18:12:56 +0530

Hi Alexei,
> I am sorry I was not following your logging project closely enough. So
> I asked the most general question.

Ok, no problem at all :-)

> What is the difference between submodules and modules?
As part of this project, I have to integrate an Open Source logging library in FreeType to print
tracing and other log messages to a file instead of stderr, for debugging purposes.
Since dlg is a third party library and it uses a Meson build system for building purposes, Werner suggested
me to first checkout dlg in a separate directory: `submodules/dlg' (`submodules' as for git submodule), and afterward,
copy the necessary files to `src/dlg'.
The directory `src/dlg' would contain a `rules.mk' file to build dlg along with FreeType,
whenever FreeType is configured with a macro `FT_LOGGING' present in `include/freetype/config/ftoption.h'.

> Is this the mechanism to turn it on/off?
Therefore, the printing of tracing and other logs is totally controlled by `FT_LOGGING' macro in
`include/freetype/config/ftoption.h' on both Windows and UNIX platforms.

Please, let me know if there are any other concerns regarding my project.

> It is probably ok to have it enabled only in Debug builds (or make
> devel). But there must be a way to disable it altogether.

With my last commit dlg's Visual Studios project is only built for `Debug' and `Debug Static' configurations on both `x64' and `Win32' platforms.
For `Release' and `Release Static' builds, dlg's build is skipped.
I wanted to check if I have set up the dlg's Visual Studios Project on Windows correctly?
Especially, for Release builds of FreeType, is simply skipping dlg project the right way to not build dlg, or is there some other way around?
Please guide me...

Thanks,
Priyesh

Hi Pryiesh,

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 7:32 AM Priyesh kumar <priyeshkkumar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alexei,
> Thanks for replying.
>
> > It looks ok as far as clean separation. I don't quite understand why
> > you need to copy files
> In one of the previous mail about building dlg on Linux, Werner
> suggested me to first copy necessary files from `submodules/dlg' to
> `src/dlg' and then use a rules.mk file to build dlg.
> Therefore, I thought to set up the same directory hierarchy on windows also.

Is this the mechanism to turn it on/off? What is the difference
between submodules and modules?

> > and how to disable dlg.
> I didn't understand your concern here...
> Are you asking about skipping dlg build in `Release' and `Release Static' builds?

It is probably ok to have it enabled only in Debug builds (or make
devel). But there must be a way to disable it altogether.

Alexei