Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 05:35:14 +0200 (CEST)

> Systems without an FPU are vastly less common than they were 20
> years ago.  They still exist, and is a defendable position to want
> FreeType to continue to work on those systems, [...]

Honestly, I think this an issue even today – just think of the
Internet of Things stuff, which demands that even the sheets of my
toilet paper can communicate somehow...

>   - I have a *very* hard time imagining any system that has a
> programmable GPU, but no FPU.  As such, I find it completely
> nonsensical to ban using float for the SDF generation.

Here you definitely have a point.

> I strongly advise that you reconsider this.

We discussed that already, didn't we?

> And many other decisions that seem to be stuck in 20 years ago.  I'm
> working on writing a full assessment of FreeType as a project and
> will share in a new thread when that is ready.

Thanks for that.  I fully agree that a modern redesign of FreeType
would be a good thing.

> In the meantime, I like to see Anuj's time be spent in producing a
> **solid** SDF implementation, instead of fighting barriers that are
> not technically justified.

I beg to differ.  A GSoC project is not only to implement one thing in
one way.  It is an opportunity to learn.  Anuj is now seeing both
sides of the fixed-point mathematics medal, so to say; as soon as he
will have mastered the project he knows *exactly* when to use it and
when to avoid.

Deriving an alternative implementation using standard floating point
mathematics will be an easy exercise then, AFAICS.