Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 20:02:27 +0200 (CEST)

> For SIMD, I studied what's available last year for HarfBuzz.  I
> documented what I found here:
>
>   https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzz/blob/simd/src/hb-simd.hh

Thanks for the link, it's an interesting read.

> If you use floats internally and fill in the distances, then you can
> do SIMD passes at the end to do sqrt, clamping, and other things to
> generate the output.  But even solving computing roots or the
> Newton-Raphson can be done in SIMD for up to 8 samples at a time.

IMHO, in FreeType, SIMD support is something to be done in addition,
not as a replacement.  Since Anuj makes quick progress I suggest that
he first concentrates on the fixed-float route.  If there is some time
left we should check how to SIMD can be implemented.