Re: Edge effect (Depressed) on a Pixmap buffer using freetype lib

From: Aurovind Sagar
Subject: Re: Edge effect (Depressed) on a Pixmap buffer using freetype lib
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 13:57:52 +0530

Hi Alexei,

Yeah, we were aware of alpha blending upto an extent probably we were not aware of the terminologies. Anyway we are trying to blend the edge (font in a different color) and the font in our code.  Thanks for the inputs.

Tx
Sagar

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 6:18 PM Alexei Podtelezhnikov <apodtele@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 8:28 AM Aurovind Sagar <easagar@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are using FreeType. Sorry, the intention was not to report any bug. We are looking for suggestions. We are not from graphics background, hence please excuse if we have asked any obvious questions.

Guys, you need to learn about alpha blending. In the simplest terms: a
glyph bitmap is colorless but rather gives you a proportion of brush
and background colors: zeros mean that background is unchanged, 255
means it turns into purely brush color, something in between is a mix of
colors. Then you just apply several layers like this: shade first,
filled body second, outline third.