Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 15:19:35 -0700

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 3:10 PM Alexei Podtelezhnikov <apodtele@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 2:43 PM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:
> >> However there is an issue with the program, the glyphs which
> >> contain intersecting contours have an issue.  (example:
> >> https://imgur.com/MxJfAwY)
> >
> > The intersecting contours used to be discouraged and [are] still
> > quite rare.  [...]
>
> This is no longer true: Variation fonts have officially re-introduced
> intersecting contours.  In other words, it is absolutely necessary to
> cover this case.

We have issues with that in our rasterizer too, which I do not know
how to solve short of oversampling. Perhaps, Raph or David have some
thoughts on how to deal with pixels where contours intersect and
coverage is calculated wrongly. Whoever let intersections into
variations fonts should also have some ideas on how to rasterize those
unless the decision was made hastily.

lol.  Intersecting contours have been a reality of TrueType since forever.  The cedilla on a c always overlapped it.  That's why there's a fill rule...

I still doubt that variation fonts have legs. They were dead in the
water for 20 years are still too complex to survive, IMHO.

You live in your cave.  Varfonts render on billion+ browser installations and are in use in the wild.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/