Re: Build system considerations

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: Build system considerations
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 20:47:52 +0100

First off: all of this sounds fantastic! I always love when stuff is deleted :)

> In the end, and this is personal opinion, I find Meson cleaner than CMake,

I'd vote for removing CMake support. Its inofficial status means that
people shouldn't rely on it anyway, even if there inevitably are
people that do.

> - I would like to drop the dynamic module instantiation / lookup code from
> the library, to simplify certain code paths.

Has this ever been used by anyone?

> - There are many things I'd like to get rid of, but apparently [cut off]

... yes? :D

> - Finally, the largest issue I've seen is the dependency on Harfbuzz. The
> situation where both libraries depend on each other is a little bit
> ridiculous. I wonder how much of Harfbuzz we need, and if it's worth
> re-implementing in FreeType2 itself. But something tells me implementing
> hb_shape() can be really subtle. Any informed opinions on this?

This can probably only be answered by HarfBuzz people. I think Behdad
is lurking here somewhere...