Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields

From: Anuj Verma
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 12:36:13 +0530

>> What exactly do you mean with 'stored as something like PNG'?  Is this
>> the output that FreeType returns to the calling application?  Or is
>> this a temporary storage within FreeType?  In both cases I'm not sure
>> that this is the best solution, since compression and decompression
>> costs a lot of time.

I am talking about the output that FreeType returns to the calling application.
So, there can be a scenario where the external application first generates and save the output
of the DF (distance field) to a file. And then later on some other external application loads that file and uses it.
This scenario is common in games where a pre-generated DF is loaded and used, to reduce load times.

> My understanding is that Anuj is planning to store the rasterized-then-
> blurred glyph images as the extra TrueType table, aslike sbix table.
> I slipped to think about the size of the memory buffer to store these
> data. I'm not in full understanding about "how to use that".

No, I am not planning to save the output as a TrueType table. Initially I thought
that FreeType supports saving glyph bitmaps to file. But Alexei clarified that.
So now I think the saving part can be left to the external application to decide.

>>  What 'image' dimensions are we talking about?
>> Usually, Freetype glyph bitmaps are very small, and compressing them
>> would be a complete waste of time.

> Ah, the (assumed/estimated) number of the pixels should be discussed
> for first... Anuj, please give us some informations.

The output DF will be slightly larger than the original one (20-30% in dimension) to contain the spread.

Also, I can see *Message not available* after my emails in the freetype-devel archives. Am I doing something wrong?

Anuj