Important changes in Docwriter

From: Nikhil Ramakrishnan
Subject: Important changes in Docwriter
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 23:10:20 +0530

Hi all,

Docwriter 1.3 has been released. This release, along with commit
1fd3148 includes important changes to support Python >= 3.5 and drop
support for older versions.

Python versions < 3.5 have reached end-of-life, and the sunset date
for Python 2 was January 1st, 2020.

To be able to use Docwriter, please upgrade your Python to version
3.5+, and ensure that it is available as `python3' or `python'
(`python3' has precedence over `python'). Running `configure' will now
check for Python 3.5+ and Docwriter, and warn if any of those are not
found.

Some FAQs:

Q: Do I have to upgrade to Python 3.5+ to compile freetype2?
A: No. Docwriter is used to generate FreeType's API reference site
(available for the latest release at
https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/reference), and updating your
Python is only required if you want to generate the API reference site
(for releasing a new version or development on master).

Q: Will Docwriter work with `python3' pointing to 3.5+ and `python'
still on 2.7?