Re: GSoc 2020 project : Integrate distance fields to freetype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: GSoc 2020 project : Integrate distance fields to freetype
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 08:20:13 +0100 (CET)

[Anuj, please subscribe to the mailing list, see
 https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/freetype-devel !]

[And please don't use top-posting while answering e-mails.]

>> I faintly remember that there has been some additional research on
>> this topic since Valve presented their approach.  I think there
>> even was something in Qt.  Might be worth snooping around for
>> different implementations.
>
> So I did look around for a different method and this is what I
> found.  [...]  I have created a simple demo to demonstrate the
> method.
>
>   https://preversewharf45.github.io/

Nice!  Note that Behdad Esfahbod (author of HarfBuzz) also did some
vector field stuff, specializing on glyphs:

  https://github.com/behdad/glyphy

> Now since freetype can create glyphs with multiple color channels
> such as FT_PIXEL_MODE_BGRA, we can integrate both these methods.
> One which output distance field in a single channel and one which
> output multiple channel distance fields for high precision.
>
> Also please let me know if this project is added to GSoc list so
> that I can start writing a proposal.

Ah, the list is just a suggestion.  For a proposal, you can use
whatever topic you think is useful!

> Moreover along with this I would also like to contribute to the
> ftinspect demo program.

Well, this is a different project, and I think it's not a good idea to
combine them since they are unrelated.  Two solutions:

* You submit a second proposal for `ftinspect`.  However, we have then
  to select between the two; in GSoC, you can't do both.

* You contribute code to `ftinspect` just for fun. :-)

Don't underestimate the necessary work and time of a GSoC project!