FT_New_Face returns FT_Missing_Module

From: Brian
Subject: FT_New_Face returns FT_Missing_Module
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 23:32:02 -0500

Hi,

tl;dr: No matter what I feed it, FT_New_Face always returns 0x0B, FT_Missing_Module.  Even if I feed it a file that isn't a font at all, whereupon I would expect FT_Invalid_File_Format or FT_Unknown_File_Format, I still get FT_Missing_Module.  How do I figure out what module is missing?

I'm working with a default build.  I've downloaded the source, freetype-2.10.0.tar.bz2.  I've installed all the dependent libraries.  My configure command is completely plain, no arguments. I am linking my simple test program against the static libfreetype.a.  Here's my link step:

$ g++ -o font_test font_test.o objs/.libs/libfreetype.a -lpng -lz -lbz2 -lharfbuzz

Here's the meat of my font_test.cpp (extremely simple):

 FT_Library s_lib;
 FT_Error err = FT_Init_FreeType(&s_lib);
 // .. check for errors ..
 FT_Face m_face;
 err = FT_New_Face(s_lib, filename, 0, &m_face);
 // .. check for errors...FT_Missing_Module

I've also tried reading the file into memory and using FT_New_Face_Memory, but the result is the same; FT_Missing_Module.

I hope this is an appropriate place for this question.  I appreciate being pointed elsewhere if this isn't the right place.

Many thanks,
-Brian

PS: My goal is to use freetype in an embedded environment.  I was able to cross-compile it without any problems, but it crashes, and this particular platform (ESP32-WROOM module) is basically impossible to debug.  So I figured I'd do a native build on my dev machine with debug symbols so I could step through and maybe figure out why the ESP32 was crashing...but I can't get past the FT_Missing_Module error.  Ultimately, I want to hack and slash at libfreetype to get it as small as possible while maintaining the limited set of features I actually need (just rasterization and antialiasing for ttf fonts, basically).