Re: [ft-devel] Announcing FreeType 2.10.1 - regression in ftgzip.c

From: Lorcán Mc Donagh
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Announcing FreeType 2.10.1 - regression in ftgzip.c
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 18:56:38 +0200

Hi,

I think the reason why this occurred is because the check "if ( w < 8 || w > 15 )" is only present
in the old version of zlib, the newer ones don't have this check.

Not according to https://zlib.net/manual.html (1.2.11, latest)
The windowBits parameter is the base two logarithm of the window size (the size of the history buffer).
It should be in the range 8..15 for this version of the library.
Larger values of this parameter result in better compression at the expense of memory usage. The default value is 15 if deflateInit is used instead.

47 bits sounds like a whole lot to me anyway ;)

As far as I know, FreeType can either use the externally installed Zlib (in which case this code
will work fine, hopefully). However, if your FreeType build uses the built-in copy of zlib (which
is quite old) the code breaks.

Werner, I think this change shouldn't have been made to master because it fails with the built-in version of zlib. Don't know what we should do now. Probably revert it?

Regards,

Moazin