[ft-devel] CMake build system: some proposed changes

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: [ft-devel] CMake build system: some proposed changes
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 22:32:07 +0100

Hi list,
I've been looking at some CMake issues filed over at Savannah. One ting that pops up in a few places is that some people do not expect CMake to autodetect external dependencies, which can lead to problems when e.g. baking packages for distribution.

I don't have a strong opinion on this and tried to find "best practices" on this in the CMake world, but didn't get much of anything resembling, well, anything useful. Maybe it's just the CMake world being as anarchic as usual. Or maybe I didn't put in enough effort.

My idea: implement knobs for all (?) ON/OFF options listed in ftoptions.h and make their default state mirror the default state in ftoptions.h. This would also mean external dependencies are off by default. I will not change the default build system. The idea is that you configure freetype2 the "idiomatic" CMake way, instead of fiddling with ftoption.h yourself.

Anyone opposed to this?