[ft-devel] ftver.rc on Linux

From: Derek B. Noonburg
Subject: [ft-devel] ftver.rc on Linux
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 16:19:47 -0700

When building FreeType 2.9.1 on Linux, I'm getting an error when it
tries to compile ftver.rc.

I suspect (but I'm not sure) the problem is this:

* the autoconf setup uses LT_PROG_RC, which apparently finds "windres"
  on my Linux box (it's shipped as part of the binutils package)

* builds/freetype.mk checks $(RC), and if it's non-empty, runs $(RC) on
  ftver.rc

* that fails because ftver.rc includes <windows.h>

This can be reproduced with "./configure; make".

Commenting out the section in freetype.mk works around the problem.

Assuming my diagnosis is correct... would it be possible to modify
freetype.mk to explicitly check that it's building for a Windows target?

In any case, success of LT_PROG_RC doesn't imply that <windows.h>
exists, or that we want the DLL resource file at all -- it's presumably
not useful when building a Linux library.

The info page for binutils says "`windres' is not always built as part
of the binary utilities, since it is only useful for Windows targets",
so this may be a packaging error/quirk (this is a Slackware package),
but it still seems a little weird to try to build ftver.rc on a
non-Windows platform.

- Derek