Re: [ft-devel] How to determine if horizontal hinting is happening?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] How to determine if horizontal hinting is happening?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 21:05:14 +0100 (CET)

>>> No, it can't, since FT_Load_Glyph's load flags determine that,
>>> which comes later than the creation of `FT_Face'.
>>
>> Could you get this from comparing linearHoriAdvance with
>> advance.x<<10 ?

I don't think so.

> What if we store the resulting load_flags after all massaging inside
> FT_Load_Glyph into the reserved field of FT_GlyphSlot?  Would this
> work?  Sorry, I do not like adding new function interfaces.

The very issue is to get information on how FreeType will render a
glyph *before* the actual rendering.  This essentially means we have
to call a function *instead* of `FT_Load_Glyph'.

Abusing `FT_Load_Glyph' for that purpose (for example, by introducing
a new FT_LOAD_GET_RENDERING_INFO flag that do what you suggest) looks
inelegant.