Re: [ft-devel] LD version script

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] LD version script
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 08:16:11 -0500

I looked aver the changes apinames.c to see how the GNU and Solaris linker version script is handled.

The question I have is how are we going to add the actual symbol versions - read in a version tag or
something else?.  Also, how are we going to handle inheritance?, For instance, using 1.2 as a sample
version number and FT as the tag:

FT_1.2 {
  global:
     new_sym1:
     new_sym2;
  local:
    .*;
} FT_1.1;

FT_1.1
   global:
       # all syms for 1.1 release
   local:
     .*;
};

so that 1.2 has all the symbols added to the 1.2 API and inherit the rest from the 1.1 API.

Or is the FT API immutable, and never going to change?

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 1:40 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Again, the symbol versioning does not improve performance, the
> attribute does.

Yep.  However, the benefits for FreeType are rather small, I believe,
since the number of library functions is small.

> I am attaching my slightly updated script. We need to discuss the
> tag, FREETYPE or FT or FreeType if it is legal.

The script works fine, thanks!  Whom could we ask which the tag prefix
is valid?

> I will work on -fvisibility=hidden support through AC_TRY_COMPILE.

Thanks.