Re: [ft-devel] LD version script

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] LD version script
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 20:34:33 -0500

I suggest you read Ulrich Drepper's article on what symbol versioning addresses.  FreeType is not known
for frequently changing its ABI or API (I don't think I've ever recalled the former happening), so some of
these things are not relevant to the FreeType project.  Still, I think it would be a good thing to have for
downstream consumers - I am thinking of Linux distributions, which have been known to add symbol
versioning to libraries that don't have it.  OpenSSL comes to mind, though the OpenSSL folks now offer
symbol versioning.  If Linux distributions are going to add, it raises the question of how how they go
about it and change the SONAME.  Better to have it consistent upstream for those who desire to have
symbol versioning.

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden> wrote:
If none of us know what problem this is fixing, maybe you shouldn't make any changes.

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 1:43 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I would consider, maybe, providing the version mapfile in the
>>> builds/unix/ folder, with regular upgrades as a part of the
>>> release cycle.
>>
>> Hmm.  Maybe it makes more sense to simply call the script during
>> `make dist', additionally having a Makefile rule to (re)generate
>> it.
>
> You’d need git repository.

Yes.

> It is either we distribute the map file or we don’t.

In a release tarball we would have the file, but probably not in git.