Re: [ft-devel] Text rendering error

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Text rendering error
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 12:02:32 +0100

> Brrr. Please explain. Do you mean that tricky fonts are to be hinted
> with v35 and never with v38/v40? Thias should be easy unless v35 is
> not compiled. The rendering itself is no problem whatsoever, AFAICS.

v40 is essentially v35 with suppressed horizontal movement plus a few
hacks, which breaks everything that relies on horizontal movement. I
guess you could rewrite the v40 compatibility mode to be able to
support arbitrary "supersampling" on an axis instead, which is what
Microsoft is doing iirc, maybe that could make tricky fonts look a
little more ClearType-y. I tried and never got anywhere though... What
do tricky fonts look like in a DirectWrite environment, e.g. browsers?

v35 by itself is able to produce ClearType-y looking fonts, it's just
that fonts have to be programmed to do that. "Native ClearType" mode
in v40 disables hacks and just turns it into v35 plus a few more
GETINFO flags.