Re: [ft-devel] merged CFF and Type1 hinting code now in master

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] merged CFF and Type1 hinting code now in master
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 23:52:52 -0400

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Jan Alexander Steffens <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 9:27 PM Nikolaus Waxweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > Is this the scheme that you are proposing?
>> >
>> >               LIGHT        NORMAL
>> > TrueType      Auto         v40
>> > CFF           Adobe        Adobe
>> > Type 1        Adobe        Adobe
>

>               LIGHT        NORMAL
> TrueType      Auto         Bytecode
> CFF           Adobe        Auto
> Type 1        Adobe        Auto

I dunno. Is LIGHT autohinter that bad? Indeed NORMAL has become lighter with v40 and Adobe hinting. Why not leave LIGHT alone for autohinter? We forgot about MONO and were bitten by it recently. What is wrong with this scheme?

      LIGHT  NORMAL   MONO
TT     Auto    v40     v35
CFF    Auto   Adobe  Auto?
T1     Auto   Adobe  Auto?

Does it correspond to fontconfig with light, medium, and strong?