Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] [Doubt] Bitmap rendering

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] [Doubt] Bitmap rendering
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 07:59:00 +0200 (CEST)

>> Please tell me again why you want to use the BMP format and not
>> something more compact – I forgot the reason...
>
> Well, this is the simplest / easiest way (not quite the compact way)
> to display the pixel data and also it is quite fast.

Is it?  IIRC, we don't want to store BMP files on disk because they
are extremely large compared to compressed formats, right?  So we have
to convert those files anyway, which leads to the loss of any speed
advantage, I believe.

> Working well for 8-bit( I'm using this for monochrome and
> anti-aliased) and 24-bit bitmaps(LCD rendering).

PNG also supports this.

> Also, I am able to reproduce them on browsers like
> Mozilla/ IE / Chromium / Chrome / Microsoft Edge.

Ditto for PNG.

> I've thought of doing it using PNG but we need some external
> libraries for that (libpng).

This is not a problem, I think.  FreeType itself already needs libpng;
using it doesn't add any new prerequisite.

> I needed to get pixel by pixel view of the image without any
> smoothing.  By using these in CSS, this is achieved [...]

Ah, ok.  Now I understand.  Yes, this makes sense.