Re: [ft-devel] Stem darkening toggling API

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Stem darkening toggling API
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 22:07:27 -0500

Nikolaus, Werner,

I see how the stem thickening may be a good idea for regular fonts and
not necessary for bold ones. So it is cool. I would only bring back
the issue of 4 pairs of parameter that overfit the function. Heh, if
it was only 2 or 3 parameters, we could tweak those for every font.

I do NOT see that LCD filtering per face is a good idea, because color
fringes are accentuated when stem thickness is 1/3, 2/3, 4/3... of a
pixel and hidden at exact pixels. So it is hard to pin them on a
specific font weight. Plus a good filter works for all situations. I
do not think this feature is useful.

Thank you,
Alexei