Re: [ft-devel] `freetype-config' now wrapper for `pkg-config'

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] `freetype-config' now wrapper for `pkg-config'
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 14:21:21 +0100 (CET)

>> I've rewritten the `freetype-config' script to be a wrapper around
>> `pkg-config' if the program is found in the path.
>
> It seems to work. I've got different cflags:
> -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16
>
> Before the change, libpng16 wasn't suggested.  I do not know what is
> right.

The above is OK.  pkg-config gives include directories of all
dependent libraries – obviously, you are building FreeType with PNG
support.  If I link with harfbuzz also, I get

  -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 \
  -I/usr/local/include/harfbuzz \
  -I/usr/include/libpng16 \
  -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 \
  -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include

on my GNU/Linux box...

Actually, I'm not very happy that so many include directories are
returned – I can imagine that as a possible source of symbol name
clashes.  On the other hand, this is the way how pkg-config works, and
a quick search didn't show up any issues with this approach.