[ft-devel] FreeType and WinAPI (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 145, Issu

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] FreeType and WinAPI (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 145, Issue 1)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 20:40:20 +0000 (UTC)

Interesting. I like that it uses free mingw compiler tool chains... though that
may not be a "beginning programmers'" choice?
A small suggestion:

g++ FTWinDemo.cpp -L. -lfreetype -o FTWinDemo.exe -mwindows
(where libfreetype.a is in the current directory)

is a bit more how gcc is usually used, versus:

g++ FTWinDemo.cpp libfreetype.a -o FTWinDemo.exe -mwindows

There are also various conventions about putting compiler switches first and
library switch at the end, etc, but I'd not go into that.

You should find that  " -L. -lfreetype " generates slightly smaller executables
than linking the whole thing in with  "libfreetype.a"

It is also not clear where your freetype include files are . You assume that
the freetype include files are at the standard system-wide location while the
static library is in the current directory. This is a bit strange. You might
want to standardize with both being in the current directory or something, or
build within a freetype tree, etc.

Anyway, this is good work - thanks!