Re: [ft-devel] Stem darkening toggling API

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Stem darkening toggling API
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 12:39:44 +0100

> > if the automatic switching to the autohinter when the native font
> > driver
> > won't darken (TT, Type1) is a good idea and if there is more API
> > work
> > needed to make working with stem darkening easy. And the font
> > drivers
> > and autohinter would need work, too, because the CFF driver is
> > currently
> > the only one that darkens well (or at all)...
> >

> Essentially we are enabling even more head-scratching my-fonts-look-
> bad moments.  I'm glad I'm not the one having to deal with those
> anymore...

Well, now that you mention it. I think I'll remove the automatic switch
and instead advise clients to be mindful of the hinting mode and always
query the font driver for its' capabilities. I.e. render with LAB+GC
when darkening is available, render naively otherwise.

The CFF driver shows that darkened glyphs that are LAB+GC'ed onto a
surface look the same as undarkened glyphs that are rendered naively,
just smoother: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/161121/ljwy4i5q.png

If I manage to implement the same balance for the autohinter and the
other drivers, this should provide a nice and soft upgrade path :)