Re: [ft-devel] various questions about implementing ttf

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] various questions about implementing ttf
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 07:28:19 +0100 (CET)

> So there are a few commands, that effectively temporarily
> use dv as pv.

Yes.

> The specs often appear much worse than they are. Many things one
> might expect to be clearly defined but that aren't probably are more
> or less just a matter of taste, if you think about it a bit
> more. For example, my question about program state
> initialization... well, if the specs are unspecific, the fonts
> probably shouldn't rely on specific behaviour.

Uh, oh.  How shall a *user* know those intricate details?  There are
some rare persons who do manual hinting, and it is extremely annoying
for them, I guess, that so many details are missing in the
specification...

> My code btw starts making sense for me. For some fonts, things get
> worse with gridfit enabled, may it be through deformed glyphs or
> probably just rendering-related.
>
> But for some fonts, it gives a much cleaner result, already: [...]

Indeed, this looks promising!

> Some others probably don't have well designed code, or may
> not be prepared for the specific usage (I'm currently still
> forcing monchrome).

Yeah.  For B/W rendering, you should use old fonts (probably from MS)
that really have hints for this rendering mode.