Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards comp

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards compatibility mode and linear advance widths
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 20:34:10 +0200

Patch is almost ready for for mainlining.

The new lean interpreter can now coexist with the Infinality code. Both are gated by macros: TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING for the Infinality code, TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING_LEAN for the new code. You can define none, one of them or both. The new code is on by default.

@Werner: I just now remembered that you sent me proofed patches but forgot to base these patches on them... Aside, I defined a new public property "hinting-engine" for the TT driver, akin to the CFF driver. I don't really feel comfortable doing that as the Infinality code may be removed in the future and I'm bound to have overlooked a combinatorial corner case with "interpreter-version". A patch for ftview etc. may follow at a later point. And yes, it turned into an ifdef orgy.