Re: [ft-devel] The KaiU.ttf anomaly.

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] The KaiU.ttf anomaly.
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 14:53:21 +0900

Yet I've not checked anything, but it could be possible that
the special hinting in the tricky fonts consumes long time
(I remember the code chart generation with the tricky fonts
by Ghostscript show some contrast between unhinted fonts and
tricky fonts).

Current freetype.h tells as setting both of FT_LOAD_NO_AUTOHINT
and FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING can disable the hinting for tricky fonts.

  /*    FT_FACE_FLAG_TRICKY ::                                             */
  /*      Set if the font is `tricky', this is, it always needs the        */
  /*      font format's native hinting engine to get a reasonable result.  */
  /*      A typical example is the Chinese font `mingli.ttf' that uses     */
  /*      TrueType bytecode instructions to move and scale all of its      */
  /*      subglyphs.                                                       */
  /*                                                                       */
  /*      It is not possible to auto-hint such fonts using                 */
  /*      @FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT; it will also ignore                     */
  /*      @FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING.  You have to set both @FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING   */
  /*      and @FT_LOAD_NO_AUTOHINT to really disable hinting; however, you */
  /*      probably never want this except for demonstration purposes.      */
  /*      Currently, there are about a dozen TrueType fonts in the list of */
  /*      tricky fonts; they are hard-coded in file `ttobjs.c'.            */

If it does not work well, it should be revised.

Regards,
mpsuzuki