Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 05:51:06 +0200 (CEST)

> The rendering of CFF fonts changed drastically from one FreeType
> version to another.  The effect of
> FT_LOAD_IGNORE_GLOBAL_ADVANCE_WIDTH changed from one version to
> another.  Many other internals of FreeType changed from one version
> to another.

Well, yes, but the API stayed the same.

> There's no reason we can't simply abandon these 8 compile-time
> configuration parameters, as well as runtime parameters.

Indeed, but I don't like this.  I can imagine to use only one or two
of the eight parameters (probably with simple name aliases), setting
the other ones to default values as demonstrated by Alexei.  If the
user sets them explicitly, a compatibility formula should convert the
eight-parameter form to the new one.