Re: [ft-devel] Taming CFF_CONFIG_OPTION_DARKENING_PARAMETER_Y* for a gam

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Taming CFF_CONFIG_OPTION_DARKENING_PARAMETER_Y* for a gamma of ~2.2/sRGB?
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 18:14:16 +0200 (CEST)

>> A similar argument holds for `af_latin_metrics_init_widths': Only
>> the stem width measured along the vertical axis is used for light
>> hinting.
>
> Meaning, I'd have to modify AF_*Metrics to also compute stem widths
> on the horizontal axis and use that for stemWidth?

I don't think so.  Since we don't want emboldening for the `strong'
hinting mode (actually, we *do* want that, but this is a much harder
problem to solve), you don't have to change anything along the
horizontal axis.

> By the way, I can't directly access
> e.g. AF_LatinMetrics->axis->standard_width from my
> af_loader_compute_darkening() as I have only an AF_StyleMetrics to
> go from..  Is there a reason why standard_width is specific to
> writing class implementations of AF_StyleMetrics?

I don't know.  Many of the details evolved over the time...

>> The current subpixel hinting code should already be quite near to
>> that goal.
>
> And what keeps it from being made the default mode for the native TT
> fitter?

Behdad has answered that.  I haven't found time yet (and I probably
won't in the very near future) to run a profiler on the code, fixing
hot spots.  Maybe this is your follow-up project? :-)

> Oh, and what's that about subpixel hinting in
> af_loader_load_glyph()?

For `light' hinting mode, you can ignore that.