[ft-devel] Peculiar Hinting / Rendering Behavior

From: Darrell Bellert
Subject: [ft-devel] Peculiar Hinting / Rendering Behavior
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 14:30:10 -0700

Greetings to the freetype community.

I am using freetype 2.5.0 and have encountered an interesting rendering artefact around hinting. I am using the Microsoft "MS Mincho Regular" true type typeface (msmincho.ttc) found with Windows 8:

ftview -m "四" -r 150 9 msmincho.ttc
(that's character 0x56db for the message)

When the viewer loads, do two things:
(1) Hit 'b' to turn embedded bitmap strikes OFF.
(2) Hit 'a' to turn anti-aliasing OFF

In my version of ftview, following these two steps results in the left vertical bar of the character to go missing. What I find to be rather interesting is that when I hit the 'h' key to turn hinting OFF in ftview, then the left vertical bar of the glyph returns!

My understanding of hinting is that it would do the opposite. In other words, turning hinting ON would enable better character generation.

Is this a problem in the font itself? A problem in freetype? Or is my understanding of hinting errant?

FWIW, forcing the autohinter on with the 'f' command will also correct the problem, but I can't use that in my code as I noticed that the autohinter tends to lighten some bold fonts at small resolutions, which for the moment is not desirable for me.

Thanks,

Darrell