Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction and FreeType

From: another gol
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction and FreeType
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 11:32:16 +0100

But I don't agree that a monitor's white = a bright lamp (& it's fortunate for our eyes that it isn't).

In order to emulate a bright lamp, or generally the sun in videogames, you add a halo, that will make the white so saturated that it will bleed around it. And this is what will make a dark thin line disappear around a bright sun, that halo.

To me a monitor's white = paper white. Ok, it's generally brighter (than paper under normal reading light), but it's still on that same max white that we read text, so it's far from a light bulb's light. Now the question is whether that same bleeding effect also applies to lower brightness, that I don't know. A CRT had that kind of bleeding, but for other reasons.

But in any case, logical or not, the end user certainly doesn't want/expect to see thin black on white text vs chubby white on black text. You'd probably hate it in this very reply box.

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Søren Sandmann <address@hidden> wrote:
Dave Arnold <address@hidden> writes:

> I agree in theory that gamma correction should make the weight of
> black text and white text appear the same.

It's not clear to me that this is the case. Consider the following
experiment:

Suppose you have a big, bright lamp and some ideal, black cardboard that
doesn't let any light through.

In scenario 1 you cover the entire lamp with cardboard except it has an
an 'A' shaped hole cut in it. Since the cardboard is ideal, we get a
glowing A on a black background.

In scenario 2, you hang an 'A' shaped mask in front of the lamp so that
you get a black A on a bright background.

Will the two As appear to have the same weight? I'm guessing the glowing
one will appear bolder than the dark one.

Søren