Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint & x-heights

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint & x-heights
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 10:34:59 +0200 (CEST)

> I still think the issue here is the way the Freetype auto hinter
> snaps to pixel edges.

This is *another* issue.

> It tends to snap 'upwards' compared to the bytecode interpreter,
> which when following manually hinted TT instructions may be
> instructed to snap 'downwards' with certain stems at certain pt
> sizes.

This is correct, and intentional.  In general, the autohinter is
increasing the glyph size much more often than decreasing.  Remember
that the original code in FreeType tries to hint the glyphs without
any manual intervention at run-time.  Compressing a font vertically
might lead to very ugly results, while the opposite can only improve
the appearance.

However, ttfautohint doesn't hint at run-time, so I can try to make it
better, and the forthcoming option -X (or a variant of it) is the
right means for that.