Re: [ft-devel] Font Rendering Query

From: Alan Coopersmith
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Font Rendering Query
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:23:48 -0700

On 07/21/11 02:20 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious from a development point of view where font rendering
> with libfreetype actually happens under a Linux desktop, i.e which
> process loads/parses/displays a freetype font?
>
> For example, if an application renders some text with a given font,
> is this work done by X or the application that's displaying the
> font?
>
> Reason I ask is because I can see libfreetype is linked to both my
> application and X?

The X server does it for legacy applications using the 20-year old
X11 font calls.   Fonts rendered this way have many limitations, and
are not antialiased.   This remains for backwards compatibility.

Modern applications use freetype on the client side, with libraries
such as libXft & pango to handle more complex rendering with newer
features such as anti-aliasing/lcd-optimization.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-        address@hidden