Re: [ft-devel] Determining Upper Bound of memory consumption for a syst

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Determining Upper Bound of memory consumption for a system using FT cache subsystem
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 17:40:55 -0700

I think you are misunderstood. The cache subsystem memory bounding only accounts for the objects stored in the cache itself (i.e. glyph outlines, bitmaps, charmaps), but not the FT_Face and FT_Size objects themselves. Iirc, you can purge the latter if you want without purging the cache objects themselves.

Trying to memory-bound the FT_Face and FT_Size objects themselves is pretty impossible due to the nature of the font format we're trying to support.

Also, the memory bounding does not account for malloc-specific memory block padding and other stuff like that, so even getting an absolutely correct estimates of all the bytes consumed is impossible.

Hope this helps.

- David Turner