Re: [ft-devel] FT_Slot_LoadFunc load_flags info?

From: Ian Britten
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FT_Slot_LoadFunc load_flags info?
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:56:51 -0400

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
The horizontal advance is the amount you have to move the cursor to
the right (or down for vertical layouts);

This value is completely independent from the actual glyph!  It's up
to you how much whitespace you want to have between your glyphs.
Basically, it's a design decision; of course, in most cases the
advance width is larger than the glyph's width.

To summarize: The advance width gives the distance from the origin of
a glyph to the origin of the next glyph.

- Or should it be zero?  Zero seems to work in _some_ cases...

This surprises me.  Zero should make all glyphs positioned at the same
place, overwriting each other.

Werner,
Based on this (and the previous) info, I think I've got my driver
updated, and it seems to have resolved most of my Cairo-related
problems! :)  (But broke some of our existing stuff).

Furthermore, tracking down the regressions this triggered in the rest
of our code eventually revealed that our 'advance' and 'kerning'
values were getting intertwined.  Basically, the font driver was
leaving the 'advance' value as zero, and the 'kerning' value being
returned was sortof an advance+kerning value.  (Not quite, and I'm
not sure how I'll resolve it, but it's entirely my problem - Not FT).

My sincere thanks for your patience and help!  I've still got issues
to get cleaned up and finalized, but I think the worst has passed! :)
Many thanks!
Ian