Re: [ft-devel] Switching to Git ?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Switching to Git ?
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 06:49:34 +0100 (CET)

>    - this was created by taking a snapshot of the current CVS
>    repository; running git-cvsimport on it then 'git-filter-branch
>    --msg-filter' with the attached (basic) script to improve the
>    commit messages a bit.
>
>    (It's still not perfect, could be improved in the future)

Thanks.  To be honest, this still doesn't satisfy me :-)

In a few days I'm traveling a lot with railways; since I have already
used parsecvs once successfully (for my CJK package for LaTeX), I'll
do the CVS conversion by myself, massaging commit messages manually
where necessary.  So please be patient -- in about a week, I'll submit
git repositories for freetype 2 and ft2demos to the Savannah people!

>    - there is *no* git <=> CVS bridge at the moment, I'm still
>    trying to get the exact details on how to properly set this up.
>    There is no point to provide write access until this is solved.

I don't think we need such a bridge.

>    - gitosis / git-daemon / gitweb are nice, but oh my, they are so
>    badly documented that it's hard to avoid many pitfalls. I'll try
>    to document them later.

Don't worry about that!  Savannah provides all those facilities quite
nicely.