Re: [ft-devel] [Regression] Font doesn't open with Freetype CVS but work

From: Albert Astals Cid
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [Regression] Font doesn't open with Freetype CVS but works with Freetype 2.2.1
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 12:53:43 +0200

A Dissabte 26 Maig 2007, Ismail Dönmez va escriure:
> Hi

> > > I see but lots of real world PDF files have this kind of fonts :-/
> >
> > I remember, ft-devel list receives several posts per year
> > saying "I found an embedded font in PDF that FT2 cannot
> > load, FT2 should load it". It's not always stated which
> > application or library using FT2 to load embedded TrueType
> > data from PDF.
> >
> > In my opinion, embedded font in PDF is NOT self-standing
> > font file. Even if it's forcibly loaded by ignoring essential
> > tables, it is no more than jumping the first hurdle.
> > Without cmap, most character-based API are not usable.
> > One of the next expected hurdle might be "we want to
> > convert glyph index to character code, to extract or
> > search a text in PDF. FT2 should do..." It is impossible.
> > Such requirement should be supplied by slightly higher
> > level library which can associate the text object,
> > embedded font object, CMap object, ToUnicode object.
> > I think it's far higher than FT2. As a result,
> > the behaviour of current FT2 is reasonable, I think.
> >
> > However, if somebody can define the reasonable subset of
> > FT2 API which is required by most PDF parser, it will be
> > quite helpful for both of FT2 and PDF-related softwares.
> > If you have some idea of subsetted API for embedded font,
> > please let me know.

Not sure what you want from me, you want the freetype functions we use?

We [1] use:
 * FT_Library_Version
 * FT_Init_FreeType
 * FT_Done_FreeType
 * FT_New_Face
 * FT_New_Memory_Face
 * FT_Done_Face
 * FT_Get_Name_Index
 * FT_New_Size
 * FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes
 * FT_Set_Transform
 * FT_Load_Glyph
 * FT_Render_Glyph
 * FT_Get_Glyph
 * FT_Outline_Decompose
 * FT_Done_Glyph

For text handling we don't use FreeType for anything.

Freetype 2.2.1 was able of giving us that functions working i would be happy
if you could make newer versions work too, even if we have to set a flag
somewhere specifically renouncing not to use some functions.

Albert

[1] We = kpdf and poppler, that are the same functions used by xpdf at the
moment, but as i'm not involved in xpdf in any way it's not "we"