[ft-devel] Unpatented hinting when vertical and horizontal point sizes a

From: Chris Altick
Subject: [ft-devel] Unpatented hinting when vertical and horizontal point sizes are different
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:12:44 -0400

Hello All,
I'm having some weird results when I vary the point size of some fonts, for example if I desire a character with vertical point size 20 and horizontal point size 10 @ 203 DPI with unpatented hinting enabled the output is really bad.

If I set the point size to 10x10 or 20x20 the result is great!  It almost seems if the output for 20x10 is only partially using the horizontal point size information.

Any ideas what might be going wrong?  I'm using Arial and a couple of other fonts for this test.

Also, if I enable the patented hinting it does work as expected.

I wonder how much some people have been charged by Apple to license the patented hinting, anyone have any idea?

Thx,
Chris